Thursday 22 October 2009

Leon opening sequence.



Leon is my favourite thriller. I can't get my hands on the DVD - it isn't for sale anymore in shops and my VHS is broken. So I have had to get what I can off the internet. It stars Jean Reno, Natalie Portman, Gary Oldman and Danny Aiello. This is also a Crime-thriller.

The opening to this film is amazing - as is the rest. It is simple, but effective. The only version I could get my hands on was from http://www.metacafe.com/, and has no sound whatsoever. There are two main camera shots, both very long. The first is probably taken from a helicopter, it is an aerial shot. The camera usage is very clever, it goes across the trees and towards New York city. Straight away we get an establishing shot. It's almost like a point of view shot of a bird or of a fly, flying through the air towards something. The camera travels a fair distance into New York, into Little Italy and straight through the entrance of a restaurant. There are then 19 close up shots. A conversation between Jean Reno and Danny Aiello. The camera shows eye contact through shot reverse shots, close ups of cigarettes, a photograph and Reno's drink (milk). This shows that they are talking quietly, they wouldn't exactly be shouting at each other.

I think we recognise what is happening straight away.

  1. Quiet Italian restaurant in Little Italy
  2. Secluded area with two people talking
  3. Both are very serious
  4. Man in dark sunglasses and black clothing (hitman)
  5. Hitman being shown a picture of an overweight businessman

It all adds up and show every convention I need to know what's happening. All in a matter a 3 minutes.

Image source: bloviatrix.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment